Monday, February 14, 2011

2mm/3mm Terrain/Scenics - Works In Progress Update

Well I've finally shut down the cleaning and prepping station, and am now just basing and painting...for the rest of 2011. Honest.

I've finally picked up some paint brushes again over the last week, continuing with some terrain and scenic pieces that have been blocking the production line on the painting table.

Here's where things stand:

The front view of a couple of SPC Wargames Scenery (ex-Simply 6) streets/manors. The one on the right is being painted as a French plantation manor for Vietnam, although the washing process muddied things up more than I wanted. I was trying the "magic wash" method, and I don't think I pre-coated a thick enough coat of Future to prevent the paint from grabbing the wash. It worked on the grey one though, which has now been finished with drybrushing. The white one has had the roof shingles drybrushed but needs the rest done.

Rear of the above.

A lousy photo (stupid white on white!) of my Indian (Irregular's Middle Eastern town) town, painted in a souther/eastern Indian style. The mosque has a dome, honest!

Another view of the same. Still a lousy photo!

Irregular's Middle Eastern village, being painted up as an Indian village, southern/eastern style. I'll be ordering some more this month to paint up in a more Northwestern India style (i.e. sand coloured).

Another shot of the above. Windows, tree foliage, well water, doors, flat roof tops are done.

The wizard's castle from before, finished except for a matt varnish. Although I'm thinking I over-did the drybrush on the hills and may need to do something to tone it down.

Another view of the castle.

The ion cannon for Hoth, not much changed from last time, just cleaned up a bit.

I have one of Irregular's windmill pieces, and I was going to do it in a European style for SYW, ECW and TYW projects, but in the end I went with a North American paint job. Hopefully the varnish tones down the red brick of the miller's house. I'm pleased with the actual windmill housing's paint job, I was trying for an aged plain wood look, with multiple greys. I based with a medium-dark grey, painted some verticle stripes in lighter and darker grey, then muted them with a wash/daubing job of the original grey.

A fort for North America, still in progress. I tried for a variety of painted buildings within the fort, representing different ages of the structure. Fresh, lighter wood; darker brown main structures, built at the same time as the wall; and one original grey/aged wood building from the trading post that was originally on the site.

And of course I forgot to take a picture of the work-in-progress 3mm church from SPC Wargames Scenery, which is nominally a European stone church, but I'm painting it for the ACW as a red brick and green roof (white trim) North American church. Seems to be working ok, although I'm hoping my matt varnish darkens things a bit, I don't quite have a proper red brick paint, but I'm close to the sort of church that still stands and I drive by daily. I have another copy of the church coming that I'll paint up proper as a stone church.

I've also got some background posts up for my 18th century Imagi-India project, over on the Mahindya 1750 blog: January's posts and February's.

2 comments:

  1. I admire your discipline in choosing to concentrate one one aspect alone (prep) before moving on to the painting - must be a bit mundane with no finished product to look at - mind you when you do get it done, you'll have a real feast of stuff!
    I really like the pieces you've been showing here - I think the North American Fort would be great for some Pony Wars stuff - Little Bighorn in 2mm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My discipline is all a fraud! I got into prepping, and got stuck on prepping, because I'd set up a second table just to get some prepping done while painting. Then I found it just easier to keep prepping, prepping, prepping. I think having more entertainment options near the prepping table vice the painting table was a factor too.

    The NA fort will be multi-role, ACW and Land Ironclads certainly, maybe some FIW. My fictional ACW universe (a balkanized North America) will include some Indians vs. USA or CSA opportunities too.

    ReplyDelete